Think of two or three people with whom you often comply, or to whom you defer to or say “yes”. What is this power to extract a “yes” from you based upon?
Write down your answers and if you can share with a partner in the HDS Circle
- Of the people you have listed do you feel better complying with some rather than others?
- Is it something to do with the way they use their power bases? How does this vary?
Possible power bases(please feel free to add more)
- Valued relationship
- Do you care about the relationship being friendly?
- How would the relationship suffer if you did not comply?
- Do you trust the advice the person gives because he or she knows more about the issues?
- What are the special areas of competence information or expertise?
- Do you respect the authority the person has?
- How would you describe your respective places in the hierarchy or pecking order?
- Does the person reward you – openly or covertly – if you agree?
- Which rewards, if any, influence you?
- Does this person punish you or show disapproval in any way? Is so how?
- Do you respect and trust the person?
- If so, which personal qualities do you particularly admire or respect?
- Is it, for example, the person’s common sense, ability to sell an idea well, charisma or integrity that is persuasive?
- Interested in joining the Scottish How Dare She conversation?
- Want personal empowerment?
Join the How Dare She Scottish Female Network: Dare You!